Wednesday, March 10, 2010

2nd Grade Sock Hop

Gracelyn got to participate in the 32428th Annual Sock Hop at school. Seriously I have no idea the number of years this program has been performed but believe me it has been forever. And you know us teachers once we get an idea in our heads we don't let go. So until there is a change of charge in the 2nd grade I predict 3 more sock hops in my future.

The dancing was cute, the costumes adorable, the smiles bright. The tension of boys and girls dancing together thick as pea soup. I kept thinking if there were things that could be done differently while breaking them up into gender groups that would have enhanced their performances. Gracelyn dreaded every day of practice because of her partner who was a perfectly fine little boy. But she couldn't stand to be in his presence because in her mind boys are gross and although from afar they can be friends and playmates you DON'T dance with them. Her partner who has been the thorn in her side (not really him just the thought of the whole mess) was absent last night so she got with another boy whose partner was missing and it was much better. She said her partner knew the part and only a few times did I see her directing him on what to do. She knows her stuff on dancing, singing and performing. She takes it serious and was sooo afraid that her first partner was going to mess up and embarrass them. I had it in my mind I was going to go up to him last night and give him a hug for putting up with Miss Bossy Pants for 3 months. But alas it all worked out and she smiled a few times. :)
I did think she looked just beautiful. Makes me realize in this picture that she is growing into a young lady and moving into a new stage of being a school-aged child. Hard to explain but soooo different than in the past few months. Mature but not mature beyond her years in a way that makes her weird. And she likes barbies and dolls just as much as before so really I can't put my finger on what is so awesome about her right now. She just is.
She is the little Sock Hopper in the light pink skirt.

Arrange marriages aren't a bad thing right?!?!

3 comments:

  1. She looks so cute! I'm glad everything worked out with her dancing partner. The kid who was absent was probably glad! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks adorable-such a fun memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Keri..too cute!! I hear you on the bossy pants thing..Lanta is one too I can so relate :) She does look so grown up..it did seem to happen this year too?! Crazy!! :) She does look great :)

    ReplyDelete