Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Just a season...

Up until a few years ago I had never heard the terminology of something happening in your life as a season. Like when your kids are little, sick, frustrating, growing, sassy, etc... that it was just a season and like all seasons it will change as quick as it came. But when you are in the middle of that season the end is never in sight it seems.



We are at the end of a season. Literally and figuratively. Cam's mowing season is coming to a close and I breath a sigh of relief. We made it another year. Another year of long days. Another year of trying to keep our head above water. Another season of seeing Cameron age in a way that is not recorded just by his birthday passing. I thankfully say goodbye to 2010's mowing season and bid it farewell. (I'd like to give it a good swift kick in the pants, but I am respectful of our bread and butter.)



The figurative season we are saying goodbye to is the feeling of hopelessness in our finances. We clawed our way out of a very deep hole which we refer to as 2008. And like everything else in life it took twice as long to fix what we messed up. We accepted our fate in the matter and slowly but surely made decisions that led to change. It was hard, frustrating, and time consuming. We had great counsel along the way and I am very grateful for that. But in the end I can say the light at the end of the tunnel is there. And it is BRIGHT! Can I get an AMEN?



Another season we are in is my favorite season of all. I cherish the Christmas season from start to finish. The decorating, excitement, anticipation, gatherings, spirit of giving, helping others, and so much more makes me just plain giddy. I love CHRISTMAS. I love everything about it. I love every single religious act we observe in respect to Christ. I love all the childish things we do to help our children anticipate Santa. There can be a balance of both without confusion and priorities being screwed up. The way I look at it is that we are Christians all year long and showing my children the love of Christ is a daily walk for us. We guide them DAILY. So having Santa added to the mix for a few weeks isn't as big a deal in the whole scheme of things. I get why people don't do Santa. I fully see why it isn't ever incorporated in their families and I respect their decisions completely. For me I think that if my child ever gets confused then it is a reflection on me and my teaching. Then I need to spend the other 340 days of the year working harder, teaching more boldly, making sure that my children see Christ in their lives instead of just at Christmas time. That's our thinking on the matter at least.


What season are you saying goodbye or hello to?

No comments:

Post a Comment